Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Time flies...

I was digging through old pictures the other day looking for something and came across this, it was taken forever ago, I was probably pregnant with the Princess.  I would give almost anything to go back to that time, sit down beside those sweet little people and to find out what they were talking about before they were so rudely interrupted by their mother wanting to preserve that moment.  Did I take enough time to listen to their sweet little voices and to watch them play or to play with them?  I hope so, though as I listen to their deepening voices now it makes me think I certainly did not take nearly the time I should have.  In those moments you think it will last forever but it won't and before you know it those chubby little arms and faces will be replaced with muscled arms, facial hair and braces.  Don't get me wrong, they are just as beautiful now as they were then, but if these years passed that quickly, imagine how the next ten will go.  I'd rather not...
                                            YOU WALK AWAY
It feels like yesterday when you were in the warm confines of my body. I felt your hiccups, kicks, punches and somersaults. You climbed your way into the world and entered the warm embrace of my arms. I touch you, cuddle and kiss you. I nurse you and then they take you away, off to the nursery to be checked out. It is the first time in 9 months to be away from you. I feel empty as I watch them walk away.

You decide four months later that you want to hold a bottle, not be restricted in my arms while I nurse you. I watch your father carry you and your bottle off to bed as y’all walk away.

Your too attached to me they say. Is there such a thing? I put you in preschool, they have to peel your arms off of my body when I drop you off and you run to me when I pick you up, at first. But you like your teacher and you have new friends and as we enter the classroom I watch you run away.

Kindergarten, your eyes plead to be a baby again and climb up in my arms, but your pride makes you be strong. Tentatively you step into the large school. You see a friend and start to chat. I watch you walk away.

The truck is washed; you look so handsome in your tux. You growl when I take your picture and beg off my kiss. As you leave, to pick up your prom date, I watch you drive away.

You got a football scholarship; you are so excited, good dorm, great friends and lots of parties and girls, in your future. You don’t want your mom to help you move in. You struggle under the weight of the boxes as I watch you stagger away.

“She looks beautiful, wait until you see her” I say. “I hope you will be happy and all your dreams come true. Don’t make me wait too long for grand babies” I say. The pastor pronounces you husband and wife. Through eyes overflowing with tears, I watch you walk down the aisle to your new life and the woman in it, giving her the hugs and kisses that used to be mine. You both run through the shower of birdseed to the truck and at the end you stop and turn around. I watch you walk towards me. “I love you mom” you say, “I’ll call you when we get back”. My heart is full as I watch you walk away.

© Kimberly www.coffeeandfaith.blogspot.com 2010

No comments: