Sunday, July 11, 2010

A really good family of clowns...

It has been a really rough week in this household but the love and caring for one another is always overflowing, even when we may not completely like each other at every single moment.  (Admit it...you don't always LIKE your family members either...LOVE always...LIKE when we are lucky!)

But today, on our way home from church and the (there went a paycheck) grocery store, I saw the teeniest tiniest turtle in the middle of the road.  And as we passed I pointed it out.  We had two options: 1.  Keep driving home to put up the groceries, eat lunch and go about our day.  2.  Stop and help this defenseless little guy (girl?) who probably wouldn't make it much longer. 

Now admit it...what would you do?  Some days you may keep driving and not think twice and quite frankly that is what I expected on this particular day.  But I was wrong, my sweet husband stopped, put the car in reverse and backed up.  And my beautiful family (like the crowd of clowns we are) all clambered to windows to check on the guy.  My oldest hopped out, showed him to his brother and sister then sat it in a neighbors yard and hopped back in the car.  But that wasn't good enough...not for us or maybe just not today...so he hopped back out and held him in the car so we could take him down to the creek.  In the midst of the "I wanna hold it!" and the "eeewww it peed on the seat!" yelling that was going on in the back of the car were my thoughts of how proud I am of this beautiful family who chose to take the time to save something so small and defenseless.
We are never perfect, we ARE a family of clowns and we screw up often.  But they are mine and I am theirs and for that...I'm forever thankful!


No comments: