Quality Family Time, Dadgummit! - Time spent with one's family albeit under duress and huge embarrassment to the children. Most often heard yelled by the parental units while on vacation (see Disney World) and Sunday afternoon walks.
The latter is what brought about today's post. I, being the rebellious daughter I was, hated, hated quality family time! It was always, always a big huge hot mess! It started with good intentions but always ended up with frustrations, tears, embarrassments and guilt. But, like all good parents we forget what we swore "we would NEVER do" and I frequently torture, guilt and bribe my children to spend quality family time with me. Well today it was decided by someone (though the instigator chooses to remain silent and no it was not me!) that a family walk with dogs would be good fun on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. So while the Jolly Green Giant and the Princess hopped on their bikes, my sweet husband took one of the puppies and the...hmmm...has he been named yet? I don't think so. Well henceforth the middle child shall be known as the Author. The Author took the other puppy (again I am well aware that these 70 lb. beasts are no longer puppies but that is what they were grouped as when they were brought home and shall be named that forever.) I hooked up the last leash to my sweet furry hysterectomy baby (story for another time) and off we went.
All started out a little rocky in that the Author has a broken arm and puppy #1 was not behaving as well as she should have which made her hard to handle with two good hands forget having one in a cast. So sweet husband takes both puppies and we are now walking along like a proper family. Picture it will you? A beautiful family (it's my dream we can be beautiful) walking/riding along on a sunny Sunday afternoon with their faithful furry friends in tow. Let's sit on that butterfly moment for just a second shall we?
Moving on...cut to "let's go (through the stretch of overgrowth that hasn't been properly maintained but always makes for a fun and interesting walk) tourist route home. And that would be when "Quality Family Time, Dadgummit" started:
- Issue #1: The Princess can't get her bike to move properly across the cracked sidewalk with tufts of grass sticking up.
- Issue #2: The Jolly Green Giant is behind the Princess and is annoyed by her slow pace for bike riding.
- Issue #3: The Author is once again losing control of Puppy #1 due to her excitement over the tall grass.
- Issue #4: The Queen (yup that's right I get a name too!) was not aware that the walk was going to take such a turn and is wearing cute sparkly flip flops that are not meant for traipsing through knee high grass with goodness knows what lurking just inchs from her feet.
- Issue #5: The furry hysterectomy baby was trying to hop through the grass like she does (I believe she's part bunny) and was having such a hard time she decided to just cop a squat.
And that my faithful friends is how this family has "Quality Family Time, Dadgummit!"
Now don't just sit there...go out and create your own memories! Or better yet...I'd love to hear your very own "Quality Family Time, Dadgummit!" stories! Don't be shy...you know you wanna share...post a comment!