Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Lines, Vines, and Trying Times"

So for my daughter's birthday we decided to surprise her with tickets to...wait for it...The Jonas Brothers!  Yup, her first concert and she would be seeing none other than Nick Jonas!  Can't you just hear little girls screams all over the world?  Well, me being the pitiful mom that I am first of all didn't know they were even in town until the Monday before the concert .  But I've been to this venue before and when your on the lawn it's relaxing, feels like a picnic...ummm...not for a kids concert! 

Okay so first of all between Demi Lovato and the Jonas Brothers we had almost 45 minutes of downtime! (What?)  Yup!  First they showed commercials for the Disney channel...um I can watch those at home!  Then for the next 30 minutes it was an empty stage!  Seriously?  Seriously! 

So finally the Jo Bros come out on stage to a slew of screaming teenagers...one of which was about to stand on my head she was so close to me!  But here's the bummer part...the adults were all standing up so guess what (big tall adult people who shouldn't care anything at all about this boy band), yep the sweet little girls standing behind you CAN'T SEE!  My sweet girl and her friend were getting frustrated, not only could they not see the stage but they couldn't even see the screens.  So off my husband goes to get some popcorn because at least maybe they can sit down and listen to the music and have a snack.  Getting popcorn shouldn't be a huge deal but he had already stood in line for 45 minutes to get four water bottles (oh and no lids?  What?)  So he trudges up the hill to get popcorn for the princesses only to be told that THE WHOLE ENTIRE VENUE IS SOLD OUT OF POPCORN!  Yes I'm serious!  So he comes back and wanting to be the hero he decided he will take turns putting the girls on his shoulders so they can see.  Usually I would feel bad about such a thing but since 18 thousand other people were doing it in front of us...what the heck.  Just as my hero of a sweet husband raises his birthday girl princess up a teeny bopper directly behind my back starts screaming "Put your daughter down!"  Oh no you didn't!!!
I turn around, look directly up (because I'm a good adult and sitting) into her face and say "I don't think so!!"  She says nothing and I could tell even in the dark that she is blushing....not such a big cool girl now are we? 

So we sit for two more songs and I watch my daughter who was so very excited for her for concert want nothing more than to just go home.  My heart is breaking, just rip it out of my chest breaking! 
So we load up our stuff with promises of a Sonic midnight ice cream trip.  Well they made it out of the parking lot before they were sound asleep.  So much for the fabulous "night to remember". 

So "Hey You", next time you take "Your Biggest Fan" to a kids concert, "Keep It Real" and sit down so that all the kids behind you can see.  Because really, at this type of show, it's not about us, it's about the "Kids Of The Future".  "That's Just How We Roll"!

No comments: