Saturday, September 18, 2010

Letting go...

Oh how I loved her!  She wasn't a sports car...she was a sedan...(but shhhh don't tell her that...she had no idea!)  She took corners on a dime, she had a turn radius like no ones business.  She had dark tinted windows that hid me when I hadn't done my makeup or was singing along with Nickelback.  She had a sunroof that slid all the way back to let that glorious light shine in on me warming me to my bones.  Her pedals were sleek and smooth.  She had a stereo system...*sob* forgive me. 

But she had (problems), my sweet husband calls it a gremlin in the electrical system.  I called it her uniqueness.  Always keeping me on my toes...would the speedometer work today or not?  Would the radio come on or would it make me drive in silence to work with my own thoughts but then mysteriously start working the minute I sank down into her soft leather seats after a long day.  ahhhhhhh
My girlfriend asked what her name was?  Name?  Name?  She was too cool for a name, she was like Prince just a sign (artist formerly known as).  Oh she was beautiful and she was mine! 

But the problems with her and the fact that the "beast", as we have come to refer to the oldest child who seems to be growing like the Jolly Green Giant, could hardly fit in the back seat anymore meant that my sweet husband started telling me that "it was time".  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

So as we drive that Sunday he points out cars that he thinks are appropriate while I sit in the front of his truck arms firmly folded across my chest, brows furrowed, I mean all you have to do is picture a 3 year old trying to be forced to eat brussel sprouts and there you have me!!!  I hated everything, it made me nauseous to think of sitting behind the wheel.  I'd done the "big car thing" no thank you!  Not going back!  But as we are at a stop light, I look over and see a beautiful black car shining in the sunlight, it has such sleek lines, oh it is wondrous looking!  As I point out this beauty I would be happy to own, my frustrating husband laughs and tells me that it's the same car I currently own yet in a different color.  "Well, at least I'm consistent!"  After a good laugh at my expense, he points out another car, a bigger car.  At which I make the tragic mistake of saying, "Well, that one doesn't make me want to throw up in my mouth."  Big mistake, huge!!  Before I can say another word we are off to the dealership (which thankfully was closed) to take a look at this thing

The one we look at isn't bad, it's actually very pretty, nicely loaded and doesn't seem that large.  So...a day off is planned and we head to the dealership (a different dealership because we found a better deal) two days later.  I climb behind the wheel and OMG it's HUGE!!!  And I feel old, and since I'm nearing 40, I don't need help feeling old.  My kids do that all too well!  My stubborn husband convinces me that this IS the best option right now and that if I'll do this now in a couple of years I can go back to a car car.  Well now, this poor salesman has no idea how to handle this situation.  A woman is about to get a new (used) car and she is sitting in the seat crying and praying that they wont make the deal.  I'm not sure but I think he canceled his engagement that night thinking women are CRAZY!!! 

But we do make the deal and we drive away leaving my baby back at the dealership where I pray that she will go to a good home (knowing full well she will really go to auction...thank you mean husband for putting that in my head!). 

Now, in defense of Bessie (yes I let my girlfriend name this one) she is a very smooth ride, she is luxurious, she has enough seating that none of my 3 children have to so much as touch each other while in the car.  She has a sunroof (though the placement doesn't allow the sun to really warm me to my bones), and she has a good sound system (though I feel a little foolish jammin' with no tint on the front windows).  But she seems to be a good car so far.  Though while driving in it I do feel less than young and sporty. 

Let me also admit this...I used to get looks in my fabulous car...I mean stares!  Seriously!!!  I must be one hot looking momma!!!  I loved it...when I didn't feel great about myself I'd hop in her smooth seats, let the sunroof open, turn up the radio and fly!  Man, I would feel AHHHMAZING!!!  Well I know now the sad sad truth...everyone was staring not at me but at her...but I don't blame them...I would too!

Good bye old friend...it was a good ride!!  You will not be forgotten...*sob*sob*sob*

No comments: