Thursday, August 5, 2010

Did you hear, it's my birthday?

Today is my birthday... ;0). 

But seriously, here is the thing about having a birthday in the time of social networking, you feel so so loved!  To wake up and have 27 emails before nine o'clock in the morning wishing YOU a happy birthday, I mean WOW!  Now some of you may be saying, "Ummm, didn't that always happen to you?".  The answer is NO!!! 

Okay so here's my world of birthday's.  First I'm an August, but you knew that when I so blatantly announced it was my birthday TODAY! (Over it?  okay?)  Well when your an August birthday, there is no school.  Should be a good thing right?  But imagine, all year long everyday hearing on the announcements "Happy birthday so and so!" and then having to sing to so and so or having people tell them ALL DAY LONG.  And then the mom comes in with pizza for lunch and a special treat, blah blah blah.  Don't get me wrong, my mom did it up RIGHT for our birthday's.  Spoiled rotten we were but she's your mom, she's supposed to!  On your Summer birthday you wake up to only your mom being excited for you, dad's already left for work and sister could care less.  No excitement until your actually party which let's admit is only fun for a few years then your over the whole party thing. 

Jump forward about 30ish years and your a mom with three kids, do you really think anyone remembers your birthday?  Ummm, not unless you write it on the board with the schedules in the kitchen were they are sure to see it cause they are hunting for snacks and seeing what fun things we are doing on this hot summer day.  (Now would be the time for me to tell everyone that I made my OWN birthday cake last year but we won't get into that will we sweet husband?  hehe) 

So, your kids see it on the board and they quickly write happy birthday on a piece of paper and present it to you with love and affection.  And you oooh and awe over it like it's a masterpiece, when what you want to say is, "That's so sweet honey!  How long did that take you?  Five seconds?".  Okay so I sound a bit bitter huh?  I'm not, seriously I'm not.  I'm blessed beyond belief.  I cherish the quickly written cards, and the hugs and kisses just cause I wrote 'MOM'S BIRTHDAY' in big block letters on the calendar and the subtle hints that "I sure did enjoy the cake I MADE FOR MYSELF LAST YEAR!" 

But June, July and August birthday people I have good news that I would like to shout from the rooftops!  Summer birthday members we can now be one of 'those' people!  The ones that have tons of people saying "Happy Birthday!" over and over!  And do you know why?  Because you were smart enough to put it on the wall of your Facebook page and you know that this will happen because the other 364 days of the year you write "Happy Birthday so and so!" on your 400 friends walls.  But still when it happens, when you wake up and groggily check your phone (which you don't do holding coffee but that's a post for another time) and you see 27 emails and none of them are Spam, they are all for you!  I mean Wow!  Summer birthday's, this is OUR time to shine, no longer do we have to be sad because no one celebrates our day, we can join in the mass celebration of school year birthdays!  Thank you Facebook for giving us, the Summer birthday's, the chance to be like everyone else!  "sob"  And to my Facebook friends, thank you for taking the time to write on my wall...Oh...there's another ding!  Yea me!

2 comments:

Livin' Life Day-by-Day said...

I hope you have/had a Happy Birthday!

Kimberly said...

Thank you!!! I had a great birthday!